Monday, May 16, 2011

LIFE AS A MUSICAL


photo taken from soulpepper.ca

A week ago I had the pleasure of attending the opening of a Double Bill at The Soul Pepper Theater Company (located in the Toronto Distillery District).  I had no idea what either play was about so I had absolutely no expectations.  
The First play was called (RE)birth: E.E. Cummings In Song.  The title pretty much sums it all up, but for some reason I didn't make the connection. The spoken prose of the 20th Century poet placed on the stage and put to song?--GENIUS!-- I walked into the full theater, was led to my seat in the last row almost center (I think the best seats in the house) and observed the rustic set of wooden chairs, instruments and a wooden upright piano.  My excitement began to build.


 **note three things about me before I continue: 1) my husband calls me a farm girl, 2) one of my 3 all time favorite movies is Anne of Green Gables, and 3) if I could, I would live my life as a musical!**

photo by: sian richards

The play opened with a squeaky frog toy (yep!), and added a banjo, an accordion and singing.  I knew immediately I was going to LOVE this play which to my delight became a creative folk musical!






photo taken from Soulpepper.ca
The next play, Window On Toronto, was another unexpected pleasure, and a great work of hometown glory!  Set in downtown Toronto's Nathan Phillip Square, Window On Toronto, is an extremely funny (I mean fold over-hold-your-gut funny) take on the daily adventures of a hot dog truck vendor.  I can't even explain this one any further!  You MUST go and see it for yourselves!

The double bill is playing at the Soul Pepper Theater Company until June 18th (2011).  Have a great grown-up night out, with dinner in the District and 2 amazing shows!  Perfect introduction to summer entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment